Sunday, June 26, 2011

Hebrews

So the past few weeks I've been doing a personal study of Hebrews, and man let me tell you, It has been really cool. It's really the first time I've done my own personal study and been relatively consistent. Since it has been a huge blessing to me so far this summer, I figured I'd post something about it. I've only made it through a few chapters thus far, so I still have a lot more to dive into. One thing that really jumped out at me and continues to be a subject of thought is Hebrews 1:10-12.


"And, Thou, Lord, in the beginning hast laid the foundation of the earth; and the heavens are the works of thine hands:
They shall perish; but thou remainest; and they all shall wax old as doth a garment;
And as a vesture shalt thou fold them up, and they shall be changed: but thou art the same, and thy years shall not fail."


Here the author of Hebrews is quoting an old testament passage in Psalms, where the the author of that particular psalm is prophetically declaring the characteristics of Christ our Lord. One reason this jumps out to me is because the author of the Psalm is declaring these truths about our Lord centuries before he came into the world. This adds truth to the eternal truths of Jesus. From a simple intelectual perspective, any knowledgeable person can see how things of this world have been changing throughout time. From the changing types of governments, monarchies to democracies, to the changing types of family order, where women had no rights or respect, societies have altered on a continual basis in so many perspectives. What comfort there is to know that our God and our Savior has been the same for all time. Even in times from day to day, we find ourselves not knowing what to expect in our lives, and rightfully we can't really know, however there is one thing, which the author of Hebrews talks about, that we can find complete hope in. Our Lord has been from the beginning and will be till the end, and has not changed, is not changing, and will not change. I definitely have not yet grasped the reality associated with this truth. If I completely understood and acknowledged this truth, my thoughts throughout the day would be surrounded with peace and confidence in our Lord.
How can I get to that place where I do have complete confidence? James 4:8, Ephesians 6:10-20, I know  it's a continual war I have to fight against. The enemy's best strategy is to get us to doubt the plans God has for us. When we begin to doubt that, we begin to try and make and chase those plans ourselves. I've got to chase after God, work towards him, and yes it is work, because it's fighting against everything this world is telling us. And when I do that, I will unexplainably begin to find myself not worrying about such fears. I will begin to find myself naturally trusting his purpose and plan. It's how he works in his children's lives, and it's worth pursuing.

3 comments:

  1. hey do i know you? :)
    i like the posts, by the way. keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. DAAAAAAAAAAAVYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete